The Best Airbrush Paint For Beginners And Advanced Users
Airbrushing is a fun and creative approach in creating unique artworks for your home. You can use this technique to redecorate your house and paint on various types of surfaces. However, there are certain types of paints that work well on particular surfaces. Before buying an airbrush paint, make sure you select the right type of material.
In this write-up, we are going to give you a preview on the best airbrush paint in the market. This will give you an idea on what product may work best for your painting requirement. You should be aware that airbrushing requires practice and experimentation before you actually get the hang of it.
Best Airbrush Paint Reviews
1. Createx Colors Airbrush Set
If you are a novice at airbrushing, the Createx Colors Airbrush set may be a good product to start with. This airbrush set is best used with airbrushes with a large tip size set with high psi to provide full coverage. Since it contains non-toxic ingredients, it’s relatively safer to use in your home.
- If you love customizing colors, this is a great way to mix and match pigments. You can practically create any color.
- This also works great on textiles especially if you are working on shirt projects. The paint sticks to the fabric without bleeding. I tried painting on a dozen shirts for my daughter’s club and the finished result looked pretty cool.
- The colors appear rich, vivid, and bright even when applied. Even the texture has a nice consistency.
- The paint works effectively with an airbrush. It provides good coverage and has a nice paint flow without any blockage.
- In most colors, you still need to thin out the paint before applying.
- There’s a tendency for the paint not to dry out correctly but only occasionally.
- Over time, the bottle may appear brittle and can easily break.
2. Badger Air-Brush Company Spectra-Tex Airbrush
The Spectra-Tex Airbrush is a good choice for users who are looking for a ready to go product that is easy to use. All you have to do is shake the container, pour the paint into the airbrush and start painting away. This water-based airbrush paint is made with professional grade materials and contains non-toxic solvents with low odor levels making it generally safer for the environment.
- It is easy to apply and runs smoothly on any surface.
- Since it is water-based, it is easy to clean just in case you make a mess of it.
- The paint dries out quickly which saves you time. This way, you can recoat the surface in less time.
- The price of the paint is very reasonable making it a good buy especially if you don’t want to splurge a lot.
- It’s a good starter kit, especially for your kids. My daughter experimented with this paint set for the first time and now she uses this more than I do.
- The paint goes a long way. I used it on several decorating projects around my home and I still have some paint left.
- It appears that the consistency of the paint varies from one color to another. Some colors contain a fairly thin texture while others have a thicker substance.
3. Createx 16- Color Airbrush Paint Kit
The Createx 16-color paint kit may be a good choice for users who love working with tons of color choices. In this case, we suggest you purchase an extra set of airbrush gun and cleaner because it will be difficult and time consuming every time you empty and clean the gun for every color change. The color wheel that comes with the set is very useful and handy. You can easily get information how the colors coordinate with each other.
- The set comes with a nice assortment of colors to get you started.
- It is very easy to clean up especially in case your kid makes a colorful mess.
- The quality of the paint is above average.
- The set of colors are fun to play with especially if you are highly creative and artistic.
- You need to use a clear coat on top so that the paint doesn’t rub off easily.
- The paint may have the tendency to dry off on the tip of the gun.
- You need to thin the paint before using it.
4. Createx Iridescent 8-Color Airbrush Paint
If you are looking for an airbrush paint that is easy to apply, the Createx Iridescent paint may be an appropriate choice. It comes in bright and fun colors that are suitable for various types of artwork. This is appropriate for both beginners and advanced painters because it is easy to use and apply.
- We’ve had this for several months and the paint still looks new and vibrant.
- The colors are rich and sharp which makes your artwork stand out.
- The paint is easy to mix and provides good coverage. I tried using this on my old t-shirt and it dramatically transformed it.
- It has a nice flow of paint in the airbrush and does not clog on the tips.
- The paint can be easily thinned and is simple to clean up.
- It works great with textiles and fabrics but doesn’t appear to sit well with other non-absorbing surfaces.
5. Testors Pearl Airbrush Paint
For airbrush paints that don’t require any thinning, the Testors paint may fit you best. It is formulated with high-quality materials that can last you a long time. This acrylic paint contains non-toxic ingredients making it safe to use with your children.
- It contains quality pigment making it suitable for various airbrushing techniques.
- The paint is simple and easy to mix. You don’t have to make an extra effort to thin the material.
- It provides good coverage on any surface. I used the silver color to paint my second-hand wooden cabinet and the color popped up nicely.
- The paint is easy to apply and sprays evenly on the surface.
- Be careful with the paint because it is very hard to clean in case it gets in your carpet.
Types Of Airbrush Paint
When you’re choosing an airbrush paint, you should first check the features, advantages, disadvantages, and the recommended surface. Picking the right paint from the beginning will prevent you from experiencing difficulties and challenges while you are airbrushing.
Generally, there are five types of paint such as acrylic, oil, dye, ink, urethane, and watercolor. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses and we’ll give you a breakdown so that you can successfully choose the right type of airbrush paint for you.
- Acrylic – An acrylic paint is relatively the easiest to use among all types of airbrush paint. It is also the most versatile because you practically use it on any kind of surface. An acrylic paint dries off faster which saves you more time especially when applying multiple coatings. Plus, it sprays evenly on the surface.
- Oil – This type of paint is a little bit more challenging to use in airbrushing especially since it has a longer drying time. On the other hand, you can opt to thin your oil paint to help speed up the process. Use mineral spirits or turpentine to thin the paint starting from the bottom.
- Dyes and Inks – Both types of paint are also easy to use. It requires low pressure and works great on paper materials because it enhances the vibrant colors. If you want a smooth and even finish, make sure you use fine grain paper. Any type of texture underneath your paint will appear visible.
- Urethane – This paint is very durable and tough. Urethanes are designed for automotive surfaces that are constantly exposed to sunlight, heat, rain, and other weather elements. It is formulated with more pigments allowing it to withstand extreme environments. This being said, you are required to use a respirator and proper ventilation whenever you are applying this to avoid exposure to its toxic ingredients.
- Watercolors – This type of paint works well with an airbrush especially due to its thin consistency. This makes it easy to spray and works exceptionally great on art and illustration pieces. Since the consistency of watercolors is thin and transparent, you have to apply it multiple times until you reach the certain depth you want.
An acrylic paint is tough and durable which allows it to withstand different types of elements and stains except for alcohol. Before using it, make sure you shake it well so that all ingredients are perfectly mixed together. Once you’re done airbrushing, clean your airbrush immediately. Otherwise, the acrylic paint will be harder to remove once you let it sit for a while.
One minor drawback is these type of paint usually have limited color choices. However, you can always mix them up to create your own personalized color palette. Similar to acrylic paints, always shake the paint well before using to avoid pigment separation.
On the downside, watercolors are hardly durable and can be easily damaged by water. On the other hand, this makes it easy to clean up with water.
Based on the list above, we highly recommend the Badger Air-Brush Company Spectra-Tex Airbrush Paint. It has a better edge over the other four airbrush paints in terms of form and function.
The Badger airbrush paint is highly recommended for novice and advanced airbrush painters. It is easy to use, apply, and clean as well. This material dries quickly allowing you to finish your painting job in less time. This paint is made with high-quality material for a long lasting color on any surface.