The Best Ceiling Paint Reviews 2017
When you want to change the mood of a room in your home, changing the paint in the ceiling and walls will do the trick. You need to use a different kind of paint though for your ceiling and walls. Ceiling and wall paint cannot be used interchangeably. Ceiling paint is designed to cover grime with a single coat with almost no splatters. A major difference also lies in the fact that ceiling paint only comes in the color white while we all know that wall paint comes in a variety of colors.
List of paint products:
Differences Between Ceiling And Wall Paints
The main difference between ceiling and wall paint is in their formulation and composition. Painting ceilings are more challenging than painting walls.
- Ceiling paint is designed to be flat so ceiling imperfections, no matter how small, will not be seen through the reflection of light.
- Ceiling paint contains more solids so it will not drip or splatter while painting above your head. A ceiling popcorn additive hides imperfections better than semi-gloss or satin paints.
- Wall paint is more durable than ceiling paint. It is designed to be washable and more flexible. It is also thinner than ceiling paint thus a double coat is required.
- When ceiling paint is applied it appears to be either blue or pink and turns to white when it dries up. This is so the painter can see missed areas and apply paint again.
- Wall paint comes in a variety of hues, colors and finishes for different patterns and textures. This allows the easy matching of walls with the interior of rooms.
- The best ceiling paint is available in latex which is easier to work with. They are oil based so they quickly dry up. They have low odor and are initially color pink upon application and become white when dry. Ceiling paint is also available in glaze finishes.
- The best wall paint is available in latex and water based. Plastic type wall paint is best for interiors and weather-resistant and weatherproof wall paints are best for outer walls. Oil wall paints do not easily get dirty, are easy to clean and do not attract dust. Water resistant wall paints are also available.
Benefits Of Using The Right Paint
Using the right of paint for your ceiling and walls give you numerous benefits. As much as possible, avoid using them interchangeably.
- Using white paint on your ceiling will make a small room appear bigger and more spacious.
- White paint will not reflect light and will therefore not look glary.
- Requires less scrubbing than wall paint.
- Costs less than wall paint.
- Maintenance cost of ceiling paints are lower.
- This paint is available in a variety of finishes.
- With ceiling paint, missed spots are visible so they can be easily filled.
- Ceiling imperfections and defects are easily hidden.
- Often requires only a single coat.
- Available in a variety of colors.
- Hides permanent wall stains.
- Gives a room a different mood.
- Increases the value of a room.
- Protects room from changes in weather.
- Available in a variety of sheens.
How Much Ceiling Paint Do You Need?
Buying only the right amount of paint you need for your ceiling will keep the cost of your repainting project to a minimum. It will be good for the environment, too.
Here is how you can estimate the amount of paint you need for your ceiling:
- Find the total area of the ceiling. Multiply the length by the width.
- Divide the total area by 350 to determine how many gallons of paint you need. It is estimated that 1 gallon of paint is able to paint about 350 square feet of ceiling area. The answer you will get is good for one coat.
If you want a double coat, simply multiple your answer by two. If you do not want to manually do the math, you can use a Ceiling Paint Calculator.
The Best Ceiling Paint Reviews
1. Rust-Oleum Corporation Mold and Mildew Proof Interior Paint
This is part of the specialty coatings line from Zinsser® (a feature brand from Rust-Oleum Corporation). These special coatings are used to handle particular problematic painting job. The Zinsser® line is known to provide top of the line quality products that make any painting job easy and done the right way.
- This interior paint comes in satin finish and is ideal for use in bathroom walls and ceilings. It is also gives protection to areas in your home that are prone to moisture.
- It is the only paint in the market that is high in performance and mildew proof while providing a low odor coat.
- This latex acrylic paint is washable, and can also be scrubbed.
- It is also moisture and stain resistant.
- It is self-priming so it can stick to any surface with the need of prior sanding.
- This paint contains a mildewcide, a pre-treatment solution that prevents the mildew and mold growth on the paint.
- This water-based and low odor paint is fade resistant and is easy to use and clean up. It can be tinted to an off white color, pastel and all medium colors.
- Upon application, this paint is in the color pink so you will not miss any spot. After 1 hour it will dry up to an elegant white flat and bright finish.
- If used near the shower area, allow 1 24-hour standing time before using the shower, Avoid scrubbing the painted area for 7 days after application.
- This paint comes with a lifetime guarantee on durability and a 5-year guarantee on its anti-mold and mildew paint film.
- Dry up time is a bit long.
- It is a thin paint that requires multiple coats.
- Can be drippy at times.
2. KILZ Color-Change Stainblocking Interior Ceiling Paint
This paint comes with the stain blocking technology. It is a paint that can be used to block common stains in ceilings, even heavy stains such as water stains and residues from smoke. It is also a primer specially designed for used in ceilings. This paint can also be used to paint ceilings infected with mildews. It provides great coverage for water-stained ceilings, and brightens up dull ceilings.
For best results, used with a nylon/polyester brush and depending on the surface area you will be working with, use a nap roller between 3/8” and ½”. Every gallon of this stain-blocking paint can cover a 250 square feet of porous surface. On non-porous or smooth surface, a gallon can cover up to 400 square feet.
- This paint can be applied with ease with only very little splatters.
- It has a pink tint upon application so you do not miss a spot and dries up fast (in less than 1 hour) to a flat white color. Should a 2nd coat be required, it can be applied after 2 hours. For stubborn ceiling stains, you can apply an additional coat after 4 hours.
- This stain-blocking paint makes painting ceilings easy.
- It also comes with Zero Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) emitting only a light odor. These compounds are solvents released into the air when the paint dries up. VOCs are known to cause dizziness and headaches.
- Comes with a thick consistency ideal for painting ceilings.
- Is not fast drying
- The initial pink color is quite paint making it difficult to see missed spots.
- A bit pricey.
3. Zinsser Ready-Mixed Popcorn Ceiling Patch
This white ceiling patch can be easily applied using a brush. It can be used to repair water damage, scrapes, scratches and blemishes on ceilings with popcorn and textured finishes. This paint, when applied, can match the texture and look of an acoustic ceiling to make it look brand-new, just like its original finish. It can also match the color of an acoustic spray so the repairs are not visible.
- Compared to other paints with the same function, this ready mixed popcorn ceiling patch from Zinsser is easier to work with and apply.
- When used to repair a popcorn ceiling, you will never notice where the original mark / ceiling hole you patched was before.
- This ceiling patch is easy to use. Upon application it is of a different color and dries up fast to a white finish after 24 hours. Dry up time depends on the texture of the surface and how thick you applied the ceiling patch.
- This product is easier, neater and faster to use that spray type ceiling patches. Areas to be covered does not require pre-preparation. For best results apply with a brush, ¼” or a 3/8” nap roller.
- Not ideal to use with a brush or a sponge because it will load them so much and will have a difficult time sticking to the ceiling.
- Working with this product requires a lot of patience .
4. True Value ACP17-5G PCG White Flat Paint
This white with flat finish paint from True Value is ideal for interior ceilings and walls. It can also be used for external applications. This latex based paint provides maximum coverage. This paint of professional quality is easy to clean with only soap and water. Volatile organic compounds (VOC) content is less than 50 grams to a liter.
- A single coat of this paint is enough to change the color of a wall hiding all marks. 2 coatings would cover up everything to give an even color.
- This paint applies with a smooth glide.
- It dries up fast to a flat white finish.
- This paint does not have any sheen, so you will be able to touch it as soon as it dries up.
- It is also a durable paint which will not peel off or chip even when you stick duct tape on it.
- Not top of the line quality
- Not as thick as a ceiling paint should be
5. Valspar Color Changing Ceiling Paint
One coat is all you need to have an even finish to any ceiling surface including acoustic type tiles. It has a non-glare finish which turns to the color white once it dries up. This splatter resistant paint easily glides making it easy to apply. This paint is best applied in interior ceilings with plain surfaces. It comes with a low odor because it has a low Volatile organic compound (VOC) content. These are chemical compounds in paint released to the air when paint is applied.
Although most of the VOCs in paint disappear as the paint dries up, some still release it years after paint has been applied causing some harm to your family. It is therefore beneficial to use paint with low or zero VOC content. Depending on the porosity of the surface, one gallon of this Valspar paint can cover up to 400 square feet of ceiling area.
- This latex type paint is easy to apply.
- You will never miss a spot because it is a light violet color (Disappearing Purple technology) when applied and dries up to become white.
- To minimize or get rid of imperfections, this paint comes in a matte (flat sheen) finish regardless of ceiling surface. Its flat finish also eliminates the glare when light hits the ceiling.
- It can be used as a recoat in previously painted ceilings.
- It can also be applied on acoustical tile, wallboard, primed plaster and sheetrock.
- Soft-fibered ceiling surface application is also possible when surface is well prepared.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Less coverage on acoustical tile, textured, rough surfaces.
Tools for you:
Repainting a ceiling is not only for the purpose of applying a clean new coat. Most ceilings are repainted to hide flaws and imperfections that may have been caused by molds, mildew or water damage.
There are paint products specifically formulated for ceilings because it is more challenging to paint ceilings than walls. Being splatter-free and initially being colored during application and turning white when it dries up are two of the most important features of ceiling paints. Unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer, ceiling paints should be used in ceilings and wall paints should be used in walls.