The Best Chalk Paint For Furniture Reviews 2018
Chalk painting has gained popularity over the years. Now it is widely used in arts and crafts as well as redesigning old furniture. It is quite easy to find and you can easily buy a can of chalk paint in your local home depot or specialty stores. However, most of you are probably wondering if chalk paint is the same thing as a chalkboard paint. The answer is no. If you want to know more about this ingenious material, we gathered some of the best chalk paint reviews to help you out.
Top 5 Best Chalk Paint Reviews
Are you still clueless on what product you should use for your DIY project? Let us help you by giving you our 5 top picks on the best chalk paints in the market today. Here are our recommendations:
1. Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint
The Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint was designed for environmental safety. It is formulated with high-quality materials with zero VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) and zero emissions. There are no harmful chemicals in this paint making it very safe to use.
This paint can cover old and modern furniture which makes it versatile to use. It is specially designed for wood furnishings but it can also be applied to other materials such as plaster, wallboard, interior masonry, metal, and glass so you have more use for it. You can practically cover anything in just one or two coats.
- This material is non-toxic, environmental-friendly, and is safe to use indoors. It doesn’t have any smell and is hypoallergenic.
- It offers a maximum coverage in just one or two applications. You can save on the material because you are consuming the minimum use of paint.
- The paint dries in just 20 minutes so the waiting time is shorter compared to other paints.
- It has a durable, silky, and chalky smooth finish that passes the fingernail scratch test.
- You don’t need to prep, sand, or prime your surface. Just make sure it is clean and you’re ready to go. It saves time and energy.
- It may tend to lack coverage on some materials particularly cabinets.
- The wax of the paint appears thick, sticky, and messy right off the can. Just make sure you know to handle it properly to avoid making a mess.
The Renaissance Chalk Finish Paint is an environmentally safe product without any dangerous toxins and chemicals without the funky smell. It’s easy to apply and dries out quickly. This paint is a good buy for a reasonable price.
2. Dover’s Chalk Finish Paint Mix
The Dover’s Chalk Finish Paint Mix is a DIY paint mixture. You can add this to any color, flat latex, or acrylic paint to create a gallon of inexpensive chalk furniture paint. What’s great about this product is that you can customize your own color and preference to create your own unique blend. The materials are formulated from an all-natural and non-toxic ingredients which are healthier to use.
It is fun and easy to apply. You just need to follow the instructions step by step. It doesn’t require any sanding or priming making it convenient for quick applications.
All you need to do is pour the required amount of Dover’s Mix into a container, add water, and blend. Then put in your paint, mix it together, and you’re ready to go. The ultra-fine powder provides a smooth finish and will make any furniture look and feel new.
- You can create your own color palette without relying on the limited colors of chalk paint.
- This paint mix is inexpensive and costs just a quarter of regular paint.
- It’s very easy to use as long as you follow the directions. Plus, it cleans up easily.
- This paint provides great coverage for any surface and furniture.
- Unlike other DIY chalk paints, this mix doesn’t harden up.
- It lacks chalk paint consistency. The paint may not have that chalky effect you are looking for.
- You may need to double the amount of coating to get your desired effect.
The Dover’s Chalk Finish Paint Mix is a great alternative if you prefer concocting your own signature color and style. It’s very easy to use and apply. Plus, it’s significantly cheaper than the regular chalk paint.
3. Poet’s Paint Waterglass Paint Chalk Finish
The Poet’s Paint Waterglass is a chalk-based paint that is designed to suit any vintage style by turning old pieces into new and unique furnishings. It can breathe a fresh new look to any furniture. It is also low in VOC and doesn’t have any unpleasant odors making it safe to use.
The paint material is infused with a unique liquid glass component to produce a hard and durable surface. This element also provides a smooth and even finish to make any furniture look seamless. The Poet’s Paint has a variety of beautiful colors to choose from which you can match with your home’s interior.
- Since it has a low VOC, the paint is easy to clean with soap and water. Plus, it doesn’t leave any stinky odor or mess.
- It produces a beautiful matte like finish. Use a synthetic brush instead of a natural brush to minimize your brush strokes and achieve this finished look. Once the paint dries out, you can either leave it as it is, apply a wax or distress the surface.
- Since it doesn’t require any sanding and priming, you can save a lot of time and effort.
- The paint easily glides with your brush and dries out easily.
- It also provides a thick coverage.
- The texture of the paint may tend to leave a few brush strokes over the surface.
- The color lacks saturation making it a bit of a challenge to achieve the desired effect.
- It may require more coating than the standard paint for maximum coverage.
The Poet’s Paint Waterglass works well with vintage design furniture. It’s appropriate especially if you want to achieve a matte like finish or a shabby chic look. It’s simple to apply and cleans up easily.
4. FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Furniture & Craft Paint in Assorted Colors
The FolkArt Chalk Furniture works with walls, cabinets, glass, metal, and other materials. It is versatile to use and requires minimal prep. You can use it to distress any furniture to make it look classic and vintage especially since it has an ultra-matte finish.
This paint material is a high-quality and non-toxic ingredient which makes it safe even for daily use. It comes in a variety of colors so you have a lot of options to choose from.
- The ultra-matte finish looks beautiful on your furniture. You can use it to repurpose and redesign your old fixtures.
- The colors from FolkArt are very nice and attractive.
- It is easy to use and apply over any surface.
- The paint is quick to dry and doesn’t leave any foul odors.
- The paint tends to have a very thick texture which makes it tricky to work with.
- It may require additional coatings to achieve maximum coverage.
The FolkArt Chalk Furniture work great on medium-sized painting jobs. It looks attractive on redesigned furnishings with its ultra-matte finish. Plus, it’s sold at a very reasonable price.
5. Chalk It Paint Finish
The Chalk It Paint Finish is a designer chalk paint finish that provides great coverage. You can use it to paint over stained wood or cover old painted furniture with a regular brush. No need for stripping and sanding.
This paint is formulated with eco-friendly and replenished plant by-products packed in a recycled container making it healthy and safe to use. The material is ultra-low in VOC and is made with natural ingredients. It provides a unique soft matte and designer finish that you can use on various surfaces. You can even use it to create a faux effect.
- This paint has a minimal smell that won’t distract you from working on your furniture.
- The paint cans are very convenient to use. It’s easy to grasp and you can reuse it especially since the paint washes off easily.
- The smaller cans are appropriate for small projects. You don’t have to buy bigger quantities for minimal requirements.
- It provides a full coverage at a minimal price.
- The effect gives you a smooth and velvety feel making your old furniture look new and polished.
- The paint can sometimes appear chalky and doesn’t mix well.
- It may have a bit of inconsistency in the mixture. Some cans may have chunks of rubbery material.
The Chalk It Paint Finish is a designer paint finish that leaves any surface looking smooth and polished. It is made with eco-friendly ingredients which are safe for everyday use. This paint is easy and convenient to use and is sold at a competitive price.
Benefits Of Using Chalk Paint
There are a variety of color choices when it comes to chalk paint. At the same time, there are also different ways to work with it to achieve the result you want. You can use a chalk paint on almost any surface. Since I am always on the go, I rarely have time to attend to my DIY home projects. Luckily, I came across a chalk paint. I tried it on my old cabinet and I was so pleased with the results.
It significantly reduced my working time because it eliminated the need to prep my furniture. I was able to finish the job and still have time to cook a hefty meal for my husband. Time has always been one of the most important reasons why I kept on delaying my projects.
This is why I came up with this list, so I can also help other people like you. Let’s start with the benefits of using chalk paint:
- No prep needed – A chalk paint doesn’t require any prep, sanding, or priming. This saves you a lot of time and effort so you can do other important things with your free time.
- Flexible – Are you constantly changing the look of the furnishings in your home? If you are, then a chalk paint is a great match for you. It is very flexible to use and you can change your design as often as you want without damaging your furniture.
- Customizable – You can create your own chalk paint by using certain ingredients. However, some materials may be a challenge to get your hands on such as a calcium carbonate. Other ingredients may be a bit expensive too.
- Eco-friendly – Most chalk paints are formulated with low in volatile organic compounds or VOC. These VOCs can be toxic and can cause health issues if you are overexposed. There are chalk paints that are formulated with all natural ingredients.
- Easy to clean – Any chalk paint residue is easy to clean and wash off. It also allows your walls and furniture to breathe freely making it a great choice for small rooms.
Based on the 5 reviewed products, we strongly recommend the Renaissance Chalk Paint Finish. It sweeps the other competitors in terms of quality, value for money, and ease of use.
The Renaissance Chalk Paint Finish is a great choice for users who are environmentally conscious. You won’t have to worry about inhaling harmful toxins while you are working on your paint job. Plus, it doesn’t have a stinky smell.
It is also easy to use and apply on any surface. The paint dries quickly and leaves you with a smooth and even finish. It is also sold at a competitive price so it won’t burn a hole in your pocket.