The Best Tile Sealer For Easy Cleaning
If you just had new tiles installed in your kitchen and you’re wondering how to prevent it from taking up dirt, mold, and stains, a tile sealer can solve your concern. A tile sealer is made of a liquid substance that can be applied to a porous surface of your tile. This helps protect it from wearing out easily due to daily use.
Do you really need a tile sealer? It actually depends on the type of tiles that you have installed in your home. Some tiles are not meant to be used with a sealer as it may alter the color and degrade the quality of the tile.
We’ve gathered a list of reviews of the best tile sealer in the market to give you an idea.
What Kind Of Tile Do You Have?
- First, you need to identify what kind of tiles you have installed in your house. All tiles that are porous should be sealed. To determine if your tile is porous or not, try applying a wet sponge on it and if the spot turns dark, it is porous.
- Petroleum-based vs Water-based Sealer:
- Penetrating vs Surface Sealer:
There are two kinds of tile sealers, a petroleum-based and a water-based sealer. A petroleum-based sealer is designed for ceramic tiles while a water-based sealer is used for tiles in natural stone.
If you are using a ceramic or porcelain tile, you can use a penetrating or a surface sealer. A penetrating sealant usually doesn’t alter the look of your tile. It is absorbed by the tile to create a protective armor against stains and other elements.
A surface sealant, on the other hand, enhances the natural color of your tile by adding a bit of sheen to the surface. Once applied, it produces a nonporous sealant to prevent stains from building-up.
How To Apply A Tile Sealer
- Measure the area of the tile including the length and the width then multiply it together. Most brands indicate in their label the size it can cover.
- Put a cloth or plastic and tape to cover your furniture, fixtures, trimmings, floors, and other appliances. This will prevent it from getting damaged by the sealant.
- Apply the sealer starting from one corner and work your way to the other side. Use a squeegee or a brush to spread it out evenly.
- After the surface and tile grout is evenly coated, allow the sealant to sit for at least 24 hours. This will create a shield around the tile.
- Once it fully dries, you can apply a polish to make it shine.
Best Tile Sealer Reviews
We’ve rounded up the most popular tile sealers in the market and summarized the advantages and disadvantages of each product. This will help you compare each tile sealer so you know what kind of product is most appropriate for you.
This tile sealer works best on natural stone tiles and protects it from stains and other elements. It maintains the look of your stone tiles for many years. This sealer repels oil and water-based contaminants.
It is very easy to use. All you need is to spray the sealant and let it dry. Since it is water-based, this sealant has a low odor so you won’t have to deal with a strong smell around your house.
- This sealant has a faint scent of lemon which makes it pleasant to smell.
- The finish has a smooth and silky feel.
- It did not leave any water spots on my kitchen tiles unlike the previous sealant.
- It does the job of protecting your tiles but it may not last very long. In this case, you have to reapply the sealer again.
- In some cases, this sealant may not properly penetrate the tile.
If you are looking for a sealer for your granite surfaces, this may be a good choice. It works well with granite kitchen backsplash, countertops, and bathroom tiles. Aside from granite, it is also formulated for other surfaces including marble, limestone, concrete, and brick.
This ultimate grout cleaner works best with tiles and grout in porcelain, ceramic, and marble surfaces. It effectively cleans the tile grout from build-up of dirt, oil, and grease. Since it is acid-free, it won’t be able to get rid of water spots on your shower floor but it works well with soap residues.
Spray it on the tile grout and wait for at least one to three minutes. Use a brush to loosen the dirt and clean it up with water.
- It effectively cleans dirty tiles and grouts. I used in on my bathroom and it was able to remove old molds without any hassle.
- This cleaner can restore the original color of your tiles with just a few scrubs.
- It works better compared to other grout cleaners.
- Since this cleaner has strong chemicals, it also has a very strong odor. If you have sensitive lungs or breathing problems, you should always use a mask.
- In some cases, it may not work well on some tiles and grouts.
If you want a product that can successfully get rid of nasty stains and dirt on your tiles and grout, the Black Diamond Grout Cleaner may just do the trick. You can see the results in just a couple of minutes.
The StoneTech Grout Sealer offers a heavy-duty shield for porcelain and ceramic tiles against tough stains and other contaminants. It is formulated with advanced fluorochemicals for maximum protection. This sealer makes your tiles and grout easier to clean.
- This provides a natural look on ceramic and natural stone tiles unlike shiny sealers that tend to wear off quickly.
- It doesn’t cause any discoloration on the tiles.
- This sealer doesn’t have any traces of strong odor.
- It is easy to apply, dries fast, and lasts up to a year before you need to reapply.
- The sealer is a bit messy to apply especially since the substance is watery. It tends to get into other parts of the grout.
- It takes multiple coatings before it actually seals the grout.
The StoneTech Grout Sealer can be used for outdoor tiles. It can protect the surface against weather contaminants.
This penetrating sealer provides maximum shield for various surfaces with natural stones including granite, marble, limestone, slate, concrete, and other porous stones. It doesn’t affect the natural form of precious stones like Quartz.
It has double protection to maintain the interior and exterior surfaces of your tiles. This sealer contains a non-acidic formula for bigger coverage.
- The instructions are simple and easy to follow.
- It dries easily in just six hours. It reduces the waiting time.
- The water beads and doesn’t leave any marks on the tile.
- It doesn’t change the original color of the surface.
- This sealer has a strong smell. Make sure you use proper ventilation when you are applying this.
- It tends to leave a hazy white mark that is quite visible.
The Tuff Duck Stone Sealant is easy to apply and dries quickly. It provides long-lasting protection for both interior and exterior tiles and grout.
This color enhancer helps improve and bring back the natural appearance of various surfaces. It darkens the color of unsealed tiles and grout. This sealer will last you a long time and is appropriate for both indoor and outdoor use.
It is formulated with a water-based solution with low odor. The sealant penetrates into the surface to enhance the natural appearance of the surface without any glossy finish. Always test it first on a small area to see the effect.
- It brings out the natural beauty of the stone.
- I installed additional stones on my steps and it had a lighter color compared to the rest of the steps. After applying this sealer, it transformed into a darker color which blended beautifully.
- The water beads up instead of leaking through the grout.
- It prevents grease and stains from penetrating the surface.
- In some occasions, it may not fully enhance the color of the natural stone.
- It costs more than other competitors.
If you are searching for a sealer that can improve the color of your stone, the Black Diamond Color Enhancer Sealer may just be the right product for you. It protects the surface of the stone to maintain its natural feature and appearance.
Out of the five best tile sealer on this list, I highly recommend the Tuff Duck Natural Stone Sealer. This penetrating sealer protects the tile and grout from dirt, grease, oil, and other types of stain. Therefore, enhancing the natural color of the stone.
It is easy and convenient to use with less drying time. Compared to other tile sealers, the Tuff Duck has more features that are useful for your home improvement project.