Is Painting Chairs With Chalk Paint Simple And Easy?
Do you have an old piece of chair in your house that is in dire need of refinishing? Don’t be afraid to step up and do it yourself. I perfectly understand why you are hesitant because I’ve been in your shoes.
It actually took me a while before I decided to do something about it. With a lot of encouragement from my husband, I was able to overcome my fear of messing things up. He bought me a can of chalk paint and showed me online tutorial videos.
Only then did I realize that painting chairs with chalk paint isn’t as scary as I thought it would be. I used to think it was more convenient to just buy a new chair than restore my mom’s favorite piece. I was afraid I would just end up destroying the fixture since I have zero experience in painting.
The great thing about chalk paint is that it is easy to use. No need for priming or sanding. You don’t need to have a Ph.D. in painting to get the job done.
Tips On How To Successfully Paint Your Chair
Here are some tips that you can follow.
1. Avoid using too many color schemes in one furniture
Unless you are working on a colorful theme like a kid’s room, don’t use too many contrasting colors in one item. It makes your furniture look juvenile.
Using too many colors may become an eyesore. If you are trying to achieve for a vintage or elegant look, pick solid colors that will go with the overall look and theme of your room. Another option is to choose a striking and vibrant color to make your chair standout.
2. Use subtle colors for contrast
You can combine two or more colors in one furniture or choose different colors for each piece. Pick subtle colors so that the contrasting tones won’t clash with each other. Instead, your hues should complement each other to create a more sophisticated look.
3. Do not over distress your furniture
To achieve a vintage and antique feel, you need to distress your chair. However, be careful not to overdo it. Otherwise, you will end up with a shabby piece of furniture that isn’t chic at all. Distressing requires sanding your furniture and too much of it can make your fixture look unnatural and unattractive.
4. Gently sand the edges and corners
If you sand your chair lightly, it can add more personality and character to your piece. Make sure you sand it in areas that are more prone to wear and tear to make it more natural.
5. Add a hand-painted design if you like
This is a fun task for creative individuals who have a knack for drawing and painting. You can add an intricate design in the seat of your chair to make it more unique and interesting. However, this is not for everyone. If you don’t have any flair for art, then it’s better to skip this advice.
Step-By-Step Guide On Painting Chairs With Fabric
Here’s a quick and simple guide to help you on your first chalk painting project.
- Prepare your materials. In this case, you will need a chalk paint, a good quality brush with natural bristles, clear wax, clean cloth, water, empty spray bottle, plastic cup, and a plastic cover.
- Place the plastic cover underneath your chair. This will protect your beautiful floor from paint drips or unforeseen accidents.
- Lightly spray your fabric with water. Fill your empty bottle with water and gently spray it directly on your fabric. Use just enough water to moisten the fabric.
- Mix the chalk paint with water. Fill your plastic cup with ¼ cup of water. Dip your paintbrush into the chalk paint. Then dip the tips of your brush in water. This will soften your paint. Remember to stay in the area of your plastic cover to avoid paint drips across your floor.
- Start painting the fabric. Apply a thin coating and allow it to fully dry. Use a small brush and paint in circular strokes. If you want a smooth finish, use linear strokes.
- Apply wax. Once you’re fine with the coverage, apply a light coating of clear wax. Use a cloth to spread it evenly on the fabric. This helps soften and protect your fabric. However, some choose not to apply wax. So, this step is optional.
- Repeat the same process for the frame of your chair. Make sure your frame is clean before painting on the surface. Wipe off any dust particles and residues. Paint the surface in small strokes. Use one or two coatings depending on how it looks. You can choose to distress your furniture or not. Then apply wax over your paint. Buff it off with a clean cloth.
- Two-color distressing. Another option is to use two colors of chalk paint. You can use two different yet coordinated colors for your first and second coating. Apply a thin coating of your second color so that your first layer will show through. Once the second coating dries off, use a sandpaper to distress your chair. Then wax it off using a cloth. This adds more depth and dimension to your look.
Chalk Paint Gets The Job Done
After discussing the steps on how to successfully paint your chairs with chalk paint, you’ll be better equipped, prepared, and confident to work on your own painting job. Now that you are aware how simple and easy it is to use chalk paint, you should start planning on how to redesign your furniture.
A chalk paint also provides great coverage on any piece of furniture. You can use it on wood, fabric, glass, ceramic, and other surfaces. So buying a can of chalk paint will go a long way.
Chalk paint is a great way to restore old furniture that no longer serves you and turn it into new and amazing pieces that will add accent to your home. This way, you don’t need to shell out money to buy new and expensive furniture. Instead, all you need to do is redesign your existing furniture using your color choice of chalk paint.
It saves you money and makes your furniture more feel more personal. If you have any comments or feedback, please drop us a message and we’ll be happy to reply to you.