What Color Blinds Should I Get For My Window?
Choosing the right kind of window treatment for your home can be frustrating at times especially if you don’t have any idea where to begin. Should you look for a specialty store that sells blinds or will the home depot suffice? What color blinds should I get to make my windows more attractive?
These are just some of the questions that are probably running through your head right now. Going blinds shopping is actually fun once you know where to go and how to pick one. We’ll show you some tips and advice to help you organize your thoughts and keep you on track.
Different Types Of Window Blinds
There are different kinds and styles of window blinds and it can be confusing to choose which one you should go for. Here are some of the most commonly used window blinds:
- Pleated blinds – It folds up and down and it allows light to enter through the spaces in between the pleats. The material is made from cloth or fabric with sharper edges.
- Aluminum blinds - This type is widely used for both home and commercial use. It looks similar to pleated blinds. Aluminum blinds are durable and let you control the amount of lighting you want in your room.
- Solar blinds – Solar or roller blinds are often used in open spaced rooms. They offer light-shading and protection from UV rays. Solar blinds are usually rolled up and down but some are controlled sideways.
- Vertical blinds – These are durable and provide good lighting control. Vertical blinds are usually placed in patio doors or large floor to ceiling windows.
Things To Consider When You’re Shopping For Blinds
When you’re out shopping for window blinds, you’ll discover that there are a variety of colors, patterns, fabrics and styles to choose from. Window treatments can significantly enhance the overall look and feel of your home. It should be both decorative and functional.
Here are some factors you need to put on your checklist before buying your color blinds:
Choosing a light or dark color for your window blinds will directly affect how much light you want to illuminate your room. A dark shade will reduce the amount of sunlight in your room while light colored blinds can allow more sun rays into the space. Dark blinds are often used in bedrooms and light shades are usually placed in the kitchen and living rooms.
Your window blinds will also determine the extent of your privacy. Some homeowners prefer an open space with lots of sunlight creeping into the room and prioritize lighting over privacy. Others choose full blinds to protect their privacy.
You can take into account the different fabric choices from sheer materials to heavy textiles. Your choice will depend on your preference and style.
Your personal style and taste are reflected in the choices you make. Make sure that the color blinds you choose are well coordinated with the motif of your house. Are you going for a casual or a formal vibe?
Do you prefer a neutral palette or vibrant and bold colors? Do you like plain designs or colorful patterns? No matter which one you prefer as long as it does the job of keeping your room protected and if it looks good, then you’re on the right track.
The standard blinds require regular cleaning and maintenance especially since it harbors dirt and dust. Fabric blinds can be cleaned with a vacuum or you can bring it to a professional cleaner. Choose the type of material you think you can best work with.
It depends on the scale of your window treatment whether you are planning to install blinds on a specific room or if you want the entire house. The cost of window treatments is determined by the size, material, and features. Custom made blinds can also add to the cost.
How To Pick The Right Color
When styling your home, it is crucial you find the right color of windows blinds that blend well with your interior and exterior design. The color of your blinds will also determine the amount of natural light that can enter your room. You need to get the right kind of window treatment that will complement the theme of your house and not go against it.
Here are some tips to identify what color works well with different exteriors:
- Bricks – When you are working with a brick façade, you need to create a cohesive look outside your home. If the bricks have tan colored markings, a similar color pattern such as tan colored blinds will tie up the entire façade together. A warm tone such as cream colored blinds can balance the cream spots infused in the red bricks.
- Stone – A stone house also features warm tones and earth colored hues. Neutral colored blinds such as tan or maple tones can make the façade look cohesive. You can use a warm gray tone to emphasize the hues in the stones.
- Stucco – If your stucco house has a shade of pink or orange undertones, a cypress green blinds can complement the look of your exterior. A red tinted espresso shade can add character to your stucco house especially when you match it with your door. A peacock blue adds contrast to the red and orange undertones.
A touch of olive green can also highlight the red bricks and will work better if you match the same color to your entrance door. A pale or light green can also help unify the look.
If you want a little more contrast, you can pick a cool sea green tone to highlight the features of the gray stone. For tan colored stones, a dark brown shade can create a more distinctive appearance from the outside.
Finding The Right Color Blinds
Now that you know the different types of window blinds, the factors you need to consider, and what color works well with different exteriors, it’s time for you to find the right color blinds for your home. Looking for the best window treatment doesn’t always have to be a chore. Make sure you follow the tips and advice we mentioned above for a stress-free shopping experience.