The Best Metal Paint For Simple And Easy Restoration
Before you throw out your old metal chair that was once so dear to you, consider restoring it first. There are a variety of metal paints available in the market today that can help bring your furniture back to its glory days. Thus, we’ve gathered five of the best metal paint to give you an idea how it works.
In this write-up, we’ll talk about the pros and cons of each product to help you select the most appropriate paint for your furniture. We’ll also discuss the features you need to look for when you’re shopping for a metal paint.
Types Of Paint
When you are painting on metal surfaces, there are essentially two kinds of paint you can use. A latex or an oil based paint. Here are the differences:
- Latex-based Paint: Many painters often use a latex paint because it is long-lasting. Some latex paints are also combined with other materials such as vinyl, acrylic or rubber compounds for quick drying. These mixtures are specifically mentioned on the label.
- Oil-based Paint: An oil-based paint is a better option when painting over metal surfaces. It provides great coverage to any imperfections, easier to clean and is more durable. An oil-based paint can resist chips and stains which make it a strong contender for metal paints. You can choose between a flat or glossy finish.
- Finishing: When it comes to the paint finish, you should choose based on how you plan to use your furniture. If you are planning on cleaning your furniture more frequently, pick a glossy finish. A semi-glossy coat is also safe to use with soap and water and it is more durable. On the other hand, if your chair doesn’t need regular washing, a flat finish is a good choice.
Latex paints are infused with color pigments that are easily dissolved by water, unlike other paints that use strong vapors. A latex is non-flammable which makes it safer to use. It is easy to touch-up and is versatile. You have the options to use a stain, gloss or flat finish depending on your preference.
On the downside, when compared to an oil-based paint, latex materials are not as strong and as easy to clean. It doesn’t always stick well when used on smooth and glossy metal surfaces.
However, it fades quicker than a latex-based paint. So you’ll need more touch-ups in the future which can be more expensive compared to a latex-based paint. Since oil-based paints are made up of alkyd resins that are thinned with turpentine, it makes it more challenging to use. At the same time, this type of paint is highly flammable.
Best Metal Paint Reviews
What I like about the Rust-Oleum Paint is that you can cover more areas with less coating. This saves you time, money and effort. It is resistant to peeling and fading making it long-lasting. Whether you are painting on an exterior or interior furniture, this paint prevents rust and corrosion.
- You can use it on any type of metal. My husband even used it to paint his motorcycle accessories and it worked great. There were no brush marks left on the surface.
- I highly recommend it for exterior furnaces because therust and corrosion resistant feature does a good job of protecting your paint from external elements.
- It provides great coverage on any metal surface. If you want to hide scratches and stains on your metal chair, this paint may be suitable for the job.
- It takes a while to dry and cure.
- The paint has a thick material so I suggest you use a thinner as it can get messy at times.
The Rust-Oleum Paint works great if you are painting surfaces on both indoors and outdoors. It is durable and resistant to rust and external element which will last you a long time.
The KrylonDual Paint and Prime offer two functions in one product. It works as a primer for your metal furnace and covers it with paint for your convenience. You can apply it n not only your metal furniture but on other surfaces such as aluminum, wood, concrete, glass, plaster and ceramic materials. This makes it more versatile to use and not to mention, economical as well.
- The dual primer and paint feature is very convenient because you can work and finish any project faster.
- I used this can on my outdoor railings and it sprayed on smoothly without any drips.
- The paint holds up well in any type of weather and environment. It doesn’t fade or peel when exposed to sun, wind or rain.
- It touches up nicely and provides great coverage.
- The smell is very strong and doesn’t dissipate easily.
- The nozzle tends to spray the paint all over the surface instead of having a solid and direct aim which leaves a mess.
- The paint doesn’t dry well.
The Krylon Dual Primer and Paint offers convenience for painters who don’t have time to prime their metal surfaces. You’re technically buying two products in one can which will save you a few bucks.
The Rust-Oleum High Performance Enamel is a heavy-duty spray paint that works like a pro. It’s simple and easy to use even for newbies. This paint is tough enough to use even for commercial applications. It dries quickly and complies on VOC regulations making it safer to use.
- It’s fast drying and leaves any surface smooth and nice. As long as you apply thin coats, the paint doesn’t drip.
- The can is designed with an improved nozzle which sprays out more paint that sticks well to your metal surface.
- It provides better protection on your paint with good coverage.
- I tried it on my old bicycle and it sealed the paint well. It sprays smoothly and evenly. A lot of people often mistake my bike for a brand new one.
- Make sure you spray it over the surface properly as it can dry off quickly which can cause clogging in the nozzle.
- If you are applying it too close, the paint has the tendency to create patches on the surface. On the other hand, if you distance yourself too far, you can use up the paint quickly.
If you want a professional touch to your furniture, the Rust-Oleum High Performance Spray Paint may be a good choice. It effectively protects not only your metal furnishings but other surfaces as well including wood and concrete making it versatile to use.
The Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray Paint is the ultimate flexible paint for any type surface. The spray can is designed with a trigger that is convenient and comfortable to use to prevent sore fingers. This durable paint provides a double layer of protection on your paint for long lasting effect.
- This spray paint is very easy to use. It sprays on smoothly and evenly without any drips or cracks.
- It works great on your furniture hardware. If you’re tired of how your door handle looks, you can easily spray it with this paint and it’ll look like you bought a new one.
- The paint doesn’t leave any fingerprints on the surface.
- Although the product label says it’s a paint and primer in one, you may still need to apply a separate primer especially since the paint tends to chip off in some cases.
- The nozzle tends to splatter paint all over the surface.
The Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray Paint works well on any kind of surface. It’s a good choice for refurbishing metal furnishings around your home. Plus, it’s a primer and paint in one product which makes it more reasonable to buy.
The Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray is suitable for decorating furniture and accent pieces around your home. It provides a reflective finish for a shiny metallic appearance and is designed for indoor use only.
- It’s a fun way to breathe new life to your old furniture. I used this to touch up my mother’s decorative pieces and the color shines through.
- A can of paint is enough to paint an entire coffee table so it’s more than enough especially if you’re using it on smaller pieces. For most surfaces, one coat is enough.
- It dries quickly and provides great coverage. You ca practically paint any of your accent pieces and fixtures with this metallic paint for an industrial look.
- Avoid using it on surfaces that can possibly get wet because it may end up staining the paint.
- Since it takes a while getting used to, using the spray button is a bit uncomfortable and causes a strain on my fingers.
If you are looking to restore old pieces that are just lying around your house, the Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray may be an appropriate choice. The metallic color looks great on most surfaces and it sprays evenly and smoothly.
Although all five products do a great job in painting metal surfaces, only one can win the category of best metal paint. In this case, the Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel sweeps the rest. If you want to feel and look like a pro, this product is a good choice.
It is heavy-duty so you can definitely rely on its quality to last you a long time. It does a good job of covering any imperfections in your furniture. Plus, it has just the right amount of VCO for a safer and healthier environment.