Best Paint Roller Cover Reviews
When a typical wall or ceiling needs a new coat of paint, you need not call a professional painter. You can very well take charge of the project.
In painting walls and ceilings, the paint roller is the best applicator. A paint roller is easy to use and does the job of painting walls and ceilings fast and efficiently. A paint roller consists of a roller frame and a roller cover. The roller frame is where the roller cover is attached. The roller cover is what takes in the paint and spreads it on the surface to be painted.
The paint roller cover is the most integral part of a paint roller. When you use the wrong roller cover, your walls or ceilings will end up having undesirable stripes, blotches and a lot of lint. It is therefore important that you choose the right roller cover suitable for your surface of your painting job. Similarly you also need to choose the right frame, pan and paint roller extension pole.
A roller frame can be re-used. A paint roller cover can also be washed and re-used but it is usually thrown after each use.
Choosing The Right Paint Roller Cover
A roller cover consists of the core, adhesive and fabric. The core is a special plastic or cardboard that forms the base of the roller cover; the adhesive is a substance that fastens the fabric to the core; and the fabric is a natural or synthetic material that is connected to a backing which takes in paint and spreads it on the surface to be painted. The fabric dictates the suitability of the paint roller brush to a specific painting job.
Types of Roller Cover Fabrics
The type of paint roller cover depends on the paint to be used and the surface to be painted:
- Woven Polyester. Can be used for all types of paint.
- Knitted Polyester. Best for water-based paints. Suitable for smooth and semi-smooth surfaces.
- Mohair. Produces the ideal finish for semi-gloss and full enamels painted on smooth surfaces.
- Sheepskin. Has longer pile height making it ideal for rough surfaces.
- Foam. For a mirror finish using full and semi-gloss enamels. Best when painting small areas.
- Micro-Fiber. Best suited for acrylic enamel paints but can also be used for water-based paints.
Other than the material of the paint roller cover, the Nap is also important. The thickness of the material as well as the amount of paint a paint roller can hold is referred to as its nap (pile depth).
- Short Nap (5-10mm). For smooth and semi-smooth surfaces. Holds less paint to leave a thin and smooth coat.
- Regular Nap (10-12mm). For smooth and semi-smooth surfaces using water-based paints. Holds paint well leaving a soft and decorative looking effect.
- Long Nap (22-32mm). Ideal for all types of paints to be used in semi-rough surfaces. Holds a large amount of paint for heavy coverage. Best to be used in textured, irregular and damaged surfaces.
As a general rule, use a shorter nap for glossier paint and smoother surfaces. Choose a paint roller cover based on the surface you are going to paint.
The Best Paint Roller Cover Reviews
Homeowners and even professional painters use paint rollers for painting interiors of a home especially when painting is done with the home or office occupied. A high-quality roller cover cleaned after each use will last for a long time. I have done a good number of painting projects in my home and have found the top 3 best paint roller cover.
The Shur-Line 7899S 9-Inch One Coat Smooth Roller Cover is a 9-inch roller cover is made of woven fabric. It comes in a pack of 3 paint roller covers.
- Guarantees an even coat and is able to cover the entire surface with a single coat.
- Guarantees fast and efficient painting time.
- It leaves less lint making the painted surface have a smooth finish.
- Can be used with all types of paint.
- Comes with a heavy duty plastic core.
- Made of woven fabric.
- Has a short nap of 9mm making it ideal for smooth and semi-smooth surfaces.
- Since this roller cover is made of woven fabric, it does not hold as much paint, so there will be a lot of paint drippings on the roller pan.
With the Shur-Line 7899S 9-Inch One Coat Smooth Roller Cover, your painting project will be done in a snap. It only takes a single coat to cover the surface you are painting so it consumes less paint.
The Wooster Brush RR723-9 Pro/Doo-Z Roller Cover 3/8-Inch Nap 9 Inch comes packed in 3’s. This paint roller cover is made of woven fabric and does not shed fibers when used with all types of paints, enamels, primers, urethanes and epoxies.
- This paint roller cover is made of top quality woven fabric that does not shed.
- Using this paint roller cover on your painting job results in a smooth finish.
- Works well even with the most complex coatings like industrial enamels, catalyzed urethanes, epoxy floor finishes.
- Produces a flawless coverage regardless of type of paint and finish.
- This paint roller cover is flexible and can withstand matting.
- Produces a professional looking smooth finish.
- Holds a large amount of paint.
- Does not hold a lot of paint so expect frequent paint drippings on the pan.
No other roller cover can match the smooth finish produced by the Wooster Brush RR723-9 Pro/Doo-Z Roller Cover 3/8-Inch Nap 9-Inch. This roller cover holds and large amount of paint and it is easy to use.
The Shur-Line 3715C 4-Inch Cut Case Foam Mini Roller Refills is a 4-inch foam paint roller cover for mini rollers. It comes in packs of 10 refills. This paint roller cover works well with all types of paint, enamels, stains and even with varnishes, urethanes, adhesives.
- This 4-inch roller cover perfectly fits inside a gallon of paint so there is no need for a roller pan.
- This paint roller cover made of foam produces a smooth finish.
- This roller cover reaches all the way to the ends of the roller thus painting corners and walls is a breeze.
- The thermo-bond technology allows the foam roller cover to be thermally bonded to the core of the roller. This eliminates the possibility of the roller cover getting detached from the common plastic and cardboard cores.
- Creates an even finish with lesser lint on the painted surface.
- Perfect for smooth surfaces.
- This foam roller cover takes in a lot of paint making it perfect for large and smooth surfaces.
- This foam roller cover applies paint in even thin coats.
- Because of the even thickness of the foam, this roller cover will not work with rough surfaces.
This Shur-Line 3715C 4-Inch Cut Case Foam Mini Roller Refills fits perfectly inside a gallon of paint thus you can forego of the roller pan. This roller cover is easy to use on walls and corners because the cover reaches all the way to the ends of the roller. A smooth finish is always a result of using this paint roller cover.
If you choose to use a paint roller for your painting project, roller covers are the most integral part of your painting tools. Choose a paint roller cover based on the surface you are going to work with. Regardless of the roller cover you are working with always fill the roller cover with paint and apply on the right amount of pressure to paint the surface