Buyers Guide & Reviews 5 Best Robot Vacuums: 2021
Looking for the best robot vacuum? Check out our buying guide that features reviews of top models on the market. Don’t forget to check back again as we update this list with new releases each year!
Robot vacuums are best at cleaning hard floors, but they do so much more. They get rid of crumbs and pet hair in carpeted areas like bedrooms, living rooms, and even your car. In fact, Robot vacuums can manage everything from wet spills to dust bunnies — all automatically without supervision.
What are the best robot vacuum cleaners?
There are several different types of robot vacuums currently on the market. These include:
- – Robot Vacuum For Hardwood Floors – best robotic vacuum for hard floors [suitable for tile, laminate, and hardwoods]
- – Robot Vacuum That Docks – best docking station robots [great if you don’t want to pick up the vacuum every day after it’s finished cleaning]
- – Robot Vacuum That Lines Up Itself – best robot vacuum that lines itself up [these are autonomous and programmed to clean in a specific path!]
- In the future, there will be even more technology-based advances made with these semi-robotic vacuums. Until then, we’ll look at some of the best options
Buying guide – FAQs and buying tips for home
It’s best if you can create a list of best features needed for best robot vacuums . Also, note the price range which includes your budget. Once you are ready with all those things then it’s best to start reading best robot vacuum reviews and decide which one suits best for your home or office. Remember that online reviews are real people sharing their experience with different models. You will find information about how well they work on hardwood floors & carpet, where there is enough room to move around freely, etc…You can also find customer complaints and common issues related to certain brands or models. Read as many views as possible so that you don’t regret later
A vacuum is the one purchase that you hope sucks a lot. Suction power is typically measured in Pascals (Pa) and is otherwise known as air watts in the vacuum world. The higher this number, the better your vacuum will be at removing debris from your carpets and rugs. Manufacturers typically use mPa (Milli Pascals), which is 1/1000th of a Pascal. Generally speaking, over 1000mPa is good for sucking up smaller particles while vacuums over 2000mPa will have enough power to handle larger messes like pet hair or mud tracked into the house.
Vacuums come in all shapes and sizes to suit any home for size. Ideally, you want between 2000-10000MPA of suction power, enough to clean anything the kids can throw at it.
Effectiveness of a vacuum is based on the type and thickness of your flooring. With high pile rugs, or carpet, you may need stronger suction than with hard floors. Additionally, there are special features such as an extra-wide or self-cleaning brush roll to choose from in order to ensure hair doesn’t wrap up into knots inside the machine that can cause clogs.
Energy efficiency: Energy efficient vacuums will use less electricity over time which means they cost less for operating costs. They also exhaust cleaner air because it has not been recirculated through the machine repeatedly before being expelled back out into the room finally an energy efficient vacuum does not require any maintenance during its life span! When looking at various models
This type of cleaning is more difficult for robot vacuums, so stick to hardwood and tile floors when it comes to choosing a model.
What kind of home do you live in?:
All robot vacuums have sensors and drop detection in them, but if you’re a parent with lots of rooms or furniture, there are robot vacuums that can detect drop and fall sensors. The more room is cleaned, the more time it will take to clean the house or apartment
Does the size of your apartment have a lot of influence on where you live? And how much stuff you have for storage. Some robot vacuums can function in an office setting. There’s no reason why there shouldn’t be a vacuum if there are carpets because most robot vacuums look like real ones, so they won’t affect people who have allergies
If your home is large enough then it’s better to buy a large-size Robot vacuum with a larger Dust Bin Capacity than else a small and cheap model might not work in long run. If you’re thinking of buying a smaller one remember that Dyson
Battery life and square footage:
Each vacuum is designed to meet a variety of demands. You might want one with an extra-large motor for carpets, or one that can last at least 15 minutes on a charge so you don’t have to change the batteries when you vacuum the stairs. The key factor in choosing any vacuum cleaner is to consider your personal needs and how often they will need to be used based on what type of space you live in.
Average run times for the list below range between 90 and 150 minutes, which translate to about 500 and 2,600 square feet covered on one charge. All of the Robot vacuums have a recharge time between 3 and 8 hours, so this is another place where they are fairly consistent.
It is not quite as easy to find out how long one will take to cover an area, but most say that it should only take 20 minutes or less.
We also took into account the number of features included with each item. While some of these are just gimmicks, quality sensors like laser-guided ones for mapping rooms can be very useful in helping your robot vacuum better navigate your house. But all in all, I’d say that if you’re more interested in saving money over longer run times or fancy extra features then you will probably want to buy the eufy Robot Vacuum 11C – it.
Furniture distance from the floor
A good vacuum cleaner should make sure that nothing piles up under the couch over time. This means not just floors, but your old toys and furniture too. A vacuum with better suction power or remote control to someone else is a good pick for families that spend most of their time away from home. Here’s our favorite out of the selection we researched—we like it because you get decent suction power at an affordable price and the app features are great in case you want to give remote access control to someone else (in case they’re cleaning while you’re gone).
Not all types of filters are created equal! For example, some robot vacuums use HEPA filters which trap 99.97% of particles up to 0.3 microns (that’s about 5x smaller than human hair!). These high-end filters are regarded as the best due to their impressive filtration capabilities.
If you have pets or suffer from allergies then look for a robot vacuum with a strong HEPA filter.
Some robot vacuums can capture microscopic dust and allergens. These include pet dander, pollen, mold spores, tobacco smoke, and more!
Bottom line: If you or someone in your house suffers from allergies then this is a very important factor in deciding on which robot vacuum model to buy.
WiFi-enabled robot vacuum cleaners can be synced with a smartphone app to control scheduling, manual start, cleaning settings, as well as telling your cleaner where to clean.
Many of them have wheels that enable them to get off high edges and clean such surfaces.
The iRobot Roomba 690 and Neato BotVac D80 Robot Vacuum Cleaner both work by climbing over tiny bumps that are only 1/4 inch tall because they cannot drive on carpets or rugs that are wider than their wheels.
The lower-priced models that don’t connect to WiFi come with a separate remote. For those who are accustomed to using an app on their smartphone, this can take some getting used to. On the other hand, having a remote control is better for homes with thick floor coverings like plush carpeting or area rugs.
If you do not have access to WiFi at your home, then make sure that your vacuum has a long range so it can reach areas as many of your houses as possible. Many robot vacuums work within 100 feet from their charging docks and remain idle if they lose contact with them.
How much should I spend on a robot vacuum?
Robotic vacuums are best suited for pet owners, people with allergies, and busy families. However, they do require a great deal of investment. A budget of $300 to $500 would be best suited to own the best robot vacuum cleaner All the time
The best robot vacuum cleaners under 300 come with two brush rolls (one is washable), a remote control, mopping feature, side brushes, and up to 120 minutes of battery life on a single charge.
Best Robotic Vacuum Cleaner Under 300 Dollars Improvements matter more than the brand name and high price tag when it comes to robotic vacuums. People who have bought cheap appliances know that it’s better to pay less for a higher quality product rather than buy expensive products
Every model of vacuum cleaner has different capabilities for their varying tasks. For instance, the Roomba 980 has advanced features including virtual walls and an iAdapt 2.0 Navigation system which enables it to move around furniture, up onto carpets, and down onto hardwood floors while cleaning effectively. This model is ideal for homes with large open floor plans since its slim profile allows it to be flexible in navigating an array of challenges unfamiliar to more standard models. Make sure you go over the product description’s specific information before making your decision.
In order to decide which vacuum you need, consider the size of your house. Is it big or small? A clean bin is one that provides enough suction for a long time without clogging up dust and debris in various pieces of furniture. Some models may utilize multi-cyclonic technology while others do not – each with its own pros and cons. An included filter determines how long you are able to clean before needing to empty the debris into a trash can (HEPA filters save more time than other types).
You don’t want one that doesn’t have enough suction power or one that cleans too fast and hits everything in its path! The best robot vacuums are easy to use and operate while providing superior cleaning performance and exceptional value for money. A high-quality device will provide efficient cleaning on a consistent basis without any difficulty. Budget models tend to be less powerful than the more expensive robotic vacuums available today. However, you do get what you pay for so always choose wisely when purchasing such items from local retailers or online stores!
We recommend reading our in-house cleaning expert reviews of vacuum cleaners to help make your final decision.
Reviews of 10 popular models
eufy by Anker, BoostIQ RoboVac 11S (Slim), Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Anti-scratch tempered glass-top cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Automatically recharges so it’s always ready to clean.
- 1300Pa Strong Suction,
- Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner,
- Cleans Hard Floors to Medium-Pile Carpets
- Remote controlled
RoboVac 11S – RoboVac may be super-slim at 2. 85″, but it’s packed with BoostIQ technology and up to 1300Pa of suction power to ensure your floors and carpets are clear of all dirt, dust, and crumbs. For Optimal Use: Use on low-pile carpet, tile, laminate, and hardwood floors. Not suitable for high-pile carpet. Move cables out of the way to avoid entanglement. Eufy 11S – Eufy RoboVac 11S is equipped with an advanced smart navigation system (SLAM), high suction power (up to 1200Pa), cliff sensor, and other sensors that give your home the most efficient cleaning performance on all kinds of flooring, and ensure a long lifetime of your product. For Optimal Use: Works on low-pile carpets (with non-loop pile at 0.5″ high to avoid getting stuck). For Optimal Use: Works on low-pile carpets (with non-loop pile at 0.5″ high to avoid getting stuck). ECOVACS N79S – The N79S uses a SLAM algorithm that will scan the room 3 times faster than other robot vacuums, mapping out a mapped plan in order to track its location in real-time while working.
Features & benefits
The Super-Slim and Powerful RoboVac
Eliminate Vacuuming Chores
RoboVac can take care of dust-busting so you don’t have to. Multiple cleaning modes and an auto-clean schedule ensure a thorough clean while you relax.
This low-profile and powerful vacuum cleaner is only 2.85″ tall, making it easy to get under furniture for cleaning and clearing dust on shelves.
Lean, Mean, Cleaning Machine
“Robo Vac”, Super-slim and packed with a 3-point cleaning system, BoostIQ technology, and up to 1300Pa of suction power for all dirt, dust, and crumbs on your carpets or floors.
A larger dustbin (0.6L) can help the Robo vacuum take more dirt and dust with its full 100 minutes of continuous cleaning without the need for emptying in between.
The anti-scratch tempered glass cover provides a sleek look and superior protection for RoboVac, while the triple-layer high-performance filter achieves a better clean for your home.
For Optimal Use:
– This type of vacuum is best for low- or medium-pile carpets, tile, laminated, and hardwood floors. It will not work well on high-pile carpeting or very dark colors.
– To make sure wires and cords are not getting looped up, you can use these cable ties we provide to manage your cables and power cord. There are five of them in the package, so they’ll last for a long time.
|Product Dimensions||12.8 x 12.8 x 2.85 inches|
|Item Weight||5.73 pounds|
- Pure Power Puck
- Non-Stop Cleaning
- Zero Attention Needed
- Always Prepared to Clean
- Triple-Filter System
- Automatic Cleaning
- Endurance Cleaning
- Large Dustbox
- Sometimes it gets stuck under the sofa
- Brushes required maintenance
2.iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) Robot Vacuum
IDEAL FOR HOMES WITH PETS, THE DREAM TEAM OF CLEAN -, ALWAYS GETTING SMARTER
- Automatic Dirt Disposal-Empties Itself,
- Wi-Fi Connected, Smart Mapping,
- Works with Alexa,
- Ideal for Pet Hair,
- Hard Floors,
- CLEANS UP AFTER YOU, AND ITSELF – Forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal that allows the i7 to empty itself for up to 60 days.
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE AND POWERFUL PICK-UP – P”The i7 vacuums in stubborn messes and has a 10X power-lifting suction. (Compared to the Roomba 600 series cleaners)”
- GUIDED BY SERIOUS SMARTS – Built on our proprietary vSLAM navigation system, the i7 learns your home’s layout and creates personal maps to accurately clean
- VACUUMS MESSES IN THE MOMENT – The new Clean Base with Automatic Dirt Disposal feature in the i7 enables you to forget about vacuuming for up to 60 days. The Premium 3-Stage Cleaning System and 10X Power Suction ensure that stubborn messes are easily removed, whether it is from your kitchen floor or under your couch. With vSLAM navigation, the I7 builds personal Smart Maps* so it can clean efficiently while staying on task. No need for manual intervention; just tell your voice assistant or use the IRobot Home app to get an instant cleanup as soon as a crumb is spotted.*
- COMPLETE CONTROL OF YOUR CLEAN – This robot is designed to clean your home, and it knows its way around every nook and cranny. Plus with organization options like Smart Mapping and Keep Out Zones you can designate exactly what, when, how much of a mess the i7 vacuums up.
- A CLEAN UNIQUE TO YOU – The Roomba i7 robot vacuum is smarter than ever, learning where and when you normally clean and suggesting personalized schedules so you can focus on everything else.
- IDEAL FOR HOMES WITH PETS – Unique Dual Multi-surface Brushes don’t get tangled with pet hair and adjust to surfaces to clean both carpets and hard floors. The high-efficiency filter traps 99% of cat and dog dander allergy triggers.
- THE DREAM TEAM OF CLEAN – This Roomba i7 robot vacuum and Braava jet m6 robot mop team up, meaning the one with Imprint Link Technology vacuums then mopping – giving your floor a comprehensive clean.
- ALWAYS GETTING SMARTER – Intelligent features like built-in mapping and performance modes to clean delicately or powerfully, plus the advanced hardware capable of being continually updated for future enhancements.
- iRobot is not an authorized retailer and will not honor claims or provide service for faulty products sold by non-authorized sellers.
Features & benefits
Cleans up after you, & itself
Forget about vacuuming for months at a time with the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal that allows the i7+ to empty itself for up to 60 days.
10x the Power-Lifting Suction & Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes that pull in dirt, debris, & pet hair from wherever it hides.
Guided by serious smarts
Intelligently maps & cleans an entire level of your home. With vSLAM navigation, i7+ maps your home to navigate in neat, efficient rows.
New App, New level of clean
From customizable routines to customizable maps, complete control is in your hands. Personalized cleaning suggestions help you stay ahead of messes.
Vacuums messes at the moment
Cereal on the floor? Cat knock over a potted plant? The i7+ can target specific areas within your rooms, like in front of the couch or under a table.
A clean unique to you
Learns from your cleaning habits to offer up customized schedules. Suggests extra cleanings when the pollen count is high or during pet shedding season.
Complete control of your clean
With Imprint Smart Mapping, your robot knows your kitchen from your living room, so you can decide where it cleans & when.
Steer clear of objects
You can tell your robot to stay away from certain areas or objects with customizable Keep Out Zones.
Ideal for homes with pets
Unique Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes don’t get tangled with pet hair. High-Efficiency Filter traps 99% of cat & dog dander allergens.
The dream team of clean
With Imprint Link Technology, the Roomba i7+ robot vacuum & Braava jet m6 robot mop team up to vacuum then mop automatically in perfect sequence.
Clean without lifting a finger
Through the iRobot Home app or your Google or Alexa voice assistant, simply tell your robot when & where you want it to clean – & consider it done.
Take out the dirty work
Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal holds 60 days of dirt, dust, & debris
- Product Dimensions 13.34 x 13.34 x 3.63 inches
- Item Weight 7.44 pounds
- Manufacturer iRobot
The i7+ smart home robot vacuum system is more than just a robotic vacuum cleaner; it contains the brains to know where your messes are and cleans them up at the moment. This means you can clean corners, baseboards, and crevices by simply saying “Roomba, clean under the kitchen table,” to Google Assistant or Alexa voice assistant for an expertly cleaned floor every day without so much as lifting a finger. With two Disposal bag sizes available – one that holds 14 hours of debris-free for up to 60 days, and another that holds 28 hours of debris-free for up to 15 days—you’ll never need to worry about vacuuming again. i7 offers personalized cleaning recommendations and seasonal suggestions that keep floors clean year-round. Plus, in combination with up to 60 days of self-emptying convenience time*, it can make life a whole lot easier.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Premium 3 stage cleaning system
- 10x Suction Power
- Neat Row Cleaning Pattern
- Runtime Smart Charge and Resume
- Smart Mapping+ Best navigation
- Visual Navigation +
- Custom Cleaning Option +
- Tangle resistant brushes not available
- High-Efficiency Filter
3.Dyson 360 Heurist Robot Vacuum (Nickel Blue)
Automated Vacuum – International Version, Powerful Dyson suction in a robot. Intelligent SLAM Navigation with LED lights 3 power modes. Cleaning that suits you.
- UK Specification – Compatible with EU, USA, ASIA & Australia
- Powerful Dyson suction in a robot.
- Run time (Quiet mode): Up to 75 min
- WiFi Compatibility: 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi
- Weight : 2.51 kg | Dimension : 120 mm x 24 mm x 23 mm (h x l x w)
The Dyson 360 Heurist robot vacuum cleaner has powerful suction and navigation to clean your home. Building a map of your house while it cleans, the robot knows where it is at all times thanks to time-of-flight sensors measuring distance. Its full-width brush always gets in all the cracks, whichever way round it moves around the room. Connecting to the Dyson Link app means you can control it remotely – even when you’re out of town.
Features & Benefits
– Dyson digital motor V2: Small, light, yet extremely powerful. Spins at 78,000rpm, generating 20% more suction than the Dyson 360 Eye robot vacuum.
– 360° navigation system: As it travels along, the robot’s sensors take a distance measurement every 20 milliseconds, so it always knows where it is and where it’s yet to clean.
– Full-width brush bar: The 212mm-wide brush bar stretches the full width of the machine – so it cleans right to the edge of the robot.
– LED light ring: Eight LEDs work in tandem with the SLAM module to enable low light navigation. They illuminate the camera’s field of view, while mirrors help to focus the robot’s sensors.
– Simple one-touch control: Icons show the status of the robot and communicate a variety of messages, including battery charge levels, blockages, and Wi-Fi status.
– Connected cleaning: Only available via the Dyson Link app – Complete control of your robot. Schedule cleans, see status reports and get software updates.
– Connects quickly: Bluetooth wireless technology allows your robot to connect to your smartphone quickly and easily.
|Item Weight||5.52 pounds|
|Package Dimensions||12.76 x 11.02 x 7.09 inches|
|Country of Origin||United Kingdom|
|Item model number||DYS-5042335|
|Power Source||Battery Powered|
|Item Package Quantity||1|
|Sound Level||50 dB|
|Included Components||Dyson 360 Heurist Robot, Dock, Adapter (Type G UK)|
Advantages & Disadvantages
- No more Batteries required
- International Version
- Intelligent Navigation
- Powerful Suction
- Dyson requires full Internet connectivity
- High Price
4. Shark AV911S EZ Robot Vacuum
- Self-Empty Base
- Row-by-Row Cleaning
- Perfect for Pet Hair
- Works with Alexa
Say goodbye to vacuuming and hello to Roomba. It automatically pulls dirt, allergens, and dander in the air or on surfaces into its self-emptying bin that holds up to 30 days of debris. An edge cleaner ensures every inch is thoroughly cleaned while a multi-surface brush roll tackles tough areas like carpets and floors with durable spinning side brushes.
Shark Cordless 360° Cleaning Robot, a self-emptying base with up to thirty days of dirt and debris, incredible suction for large and small debris including pet hair on any surface. The long-lasting rechargeable battery lasts more than three hours while strategically navigating in a row-by-row cleaning pattern, room to room providing complete coverage. With the multi-stage filtration system that captures dust, dander h allergens plus the low profile can easily reach under furniture pets can’t access. Featuring voice control of Google Assistant or Alexa running on 3rd generation app or Wi-Fi connection for one-tap starting your newfangled day 2-day service provider from anywhere at any time minus forgetful fumbling with a remote control after
Features & Benefit
- FORGET ABOUT VACUUMING: The bagless, self-emptying base holds up to 30 days of dirt and debris.
- INCREDIBLE SUCTION: Deep-cleaning power to tackle large and small debris, and pet hair.
- ROW-BY-ROW CLEANING: Methodically cleans row by row, room to room for complete coverage.
- RECHARGE & RESUME: It returns to the base, recharges, and can pick up where it left off.
- PERFECT FOR PETS: The multi-stage filtration system captures dust, dander, and allergens.
- APP/VOICE CONTROL: Easily start cleaning with Google Assistant, Alexa, or one tap in the app.
- MULTI-SURFACE CLEANING: Multi-surface brush roll pulls in dirt and debris from carpets and floors.
- HANDLE EDGES AND CORNERS: With its dual spinning side brushes, no debris is safe.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Shark EZ Robot Vacuum, Self-Empty Base, (2) Side Brushes & Filter.
- Key Description
- Size:30 Day Capacity | Style: Multi-Surface Brushroll
- Product Dimensions – 13.38 x 18.5 x 11.42 inches
- Item Weight – 12.23 pounds
- Batteries – 1 Lithium-ion battery required. (included)
- Assembly Required – No
- Number of Puzzle – Pieces 1
- Batteries Required? – Yes
- Included Components- (2) Side Brushes, Shark EZ Robot, Filter, Self-Empty Base
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Row by Row Cleaning
- Vacuuming about up to 30 Days
- Voice control facility
- Powerful Suction
- Hair warp on rollers: the shark is the clear winner here
- Row-by-Row Cleaning
- Need slight improvement in software quality
- For the price, I expected more
5. eufy by Anker, RoboVac G30 Edge, Robot Vacuum
Smart Dynamic Navigation with useful Boundry strips
- Smart Dynamic Navigation 2.0,
- 2000Pa Suction,
- Boundary Strips for Carpets and Hard Floors.
Pamper your floor with a Stylish Robot Vacuum! The eufy by Anker, RoboVac G30 Edge convinces in all aspects. Discover the Best 10 from 1200 searchable vacuums of 2019-2021. Winner for control – Wi-Fi technology allows you to remotely operate it from anywhere and not just while standing next to it. Controls on the device are both simple and intuitive, making this robot vacuum easy to use without difficulty or complication when cleaning up your house floor (we don’t want unpleasant surprises!). This is the first product that systematically cleans corners; as well as edges of stairs and molding around doors and furniture – an intelligent extension of mapping navigation that makes enviable efficiency possible.
Features & Benefits
Smart Dynamic Navigation 2.0: With the Path Tracking Sensor, Smart Dynamic Navigation 2.0 allows for purposeful cleaning when compared to random path robotic vacuums.
2000Pa of Hard-Hitting Suction: The ultra-strong 2000Pa of suction power ensures more debris is picked up across all surfaces giving you noticeably cleaner floors.
App Control with Cleaning History: Complete all your cleaning needs right from your smartphone. When the job is done check out where and when your RoboVac is cleaned.
Set Boundary Strips: Exclude your kid’s play area or your pet’s bed. RoboVac uses specialized dual-Hall Sensors to detect the Boundary Strips you set, ensuring it only cleans the areas required.
What You Get: RoboVac G30 Edge, Charging Base, 13. 2 ft. Boundary Strips, AC Power Adapter, 2 Side Brushes, Additional Unibody Filter, Cleaning Tool, 5 Cable Ties, Welcome Guide, and our Worry-free 12-month Warranty.
|Package Dimensions||18 x 14.5 x 10.5 inches|
|Item Weight||5.95 pounds|
|Batteries||1 Lithium-ion battery is required. (included)|
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Wi-Fi Compatible
- Works with Amazon Alexa
- Works with the Google Assistant
- Navigation Smart Dynamic Technology
- Max Suction Power
- BoostIQ Technology
- Dust Collector Capacity
- Map Features Cleaning History (Area Cleaned, Cleaning Time)
- Set Boundaries Boundary Strip (13.2 ft Boundary Strip Included)
- Surfaces Suitable for Cleaning
- Medium-Pile Carpets Cleaning
- Sometimes bumps into places
Final thoughts about choosing a robot vacuum cleaner
- Select a robot vacuum cleaner with WIFI and smart app control to connect your device
- Choose a cleaning pattern according to how often you need to clean floors
- If you got more time, select a random cleaning pattern robot vacuum cleaner for daily use. In this case, the robot will do the cleaning on its own, even when you are not home.
- On the other hand, if you have less time or too tight a schedule in a day so you can’t enjoy your free time doing vacuuming jobs manually as well as sorting out things around the house such as arranging furniture and putting it in the proper place and all of that stuff that takes lots of times. So just like me choose a spiral or zigzag sweeping pattern based on what